Monday, December 28, 2009

Living in the Fast Lane...Not Really

After the mad shopping rush, the planning, the cooking and entertaining of family and friends we now get to sit, rest and breathe.  Well, not really.  Life is too short to let it go to waste. Who said that anyway?  My mother probably.  Life has become so fast paced that sometimes we forget what makes us enjoy it.  Life has become a juggle of mounting "to do" lists.

I wrote a post last week that made me realize how fast paced my life truly is and how many things I seem to juggle at once.  It's a hard life but I wouldn't change a thing. Okay, maybe the bigger house.  My life experiences are what made me into the woman I am now.  For better or worse.

Life is too short.

With that said, I started thinking about pacing in writing.  Anne Mini wrote a post on her blog about pacing in writing and I have to agree with her.  We live much different lives than our parents.  Writing, too, has to meet the needs of our busy lives.  When I read the first page of a book it has to jump out at me, it has to make me feel something for the characters or events that are unfolding in order for me to keep reading.  I just don't have the time to risk reading a slow opening to be disappointed at the end.  Like my life, my choice of books are just as fast paced. In writing, every scene has to have a purpose and every word has to be necessary.

With that in mind, don't forget to take a moment to enjoy the silence.

1 comment:

  1. This is a lovely sentiment. How long has it been since I enjoyed the silence? Far too long.

    I'm off to Anne Mini's blog. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.