Monday, November 23, 2009

The Art of Public Reading

Public readings are a good way to engage the community and market your published work. You can read at libraries, schools, bookstores (if they’re still around). But how do you read in a public setting? If you’re anything like me, you’ll probably schedule time in the nearest restroom before tackling the public.

Part of the proofreading process also includes reading your work aloud, though thankfully in private. Through reading aloud, you can oftentimes pick up on inconsistencies and feel through the flow of your work. It is a good way to become both the writer and the reader. And so, I had this great idea of recording an audio version of my manuscript. I’ve read plenty of books, listened to plenty of audio books and have a pretty clear grasp of vocabulary and annunciation. What better way to listen to my story than to record it? Of course, as I can’t afford a fancy voice over artist or actor at the moment, this would have to be performed by me. But how hard could it be? Who, if not the writer, is most intimate with the creation of the characters, dialogue and narration? Really, it’s a no brainer.

Ahem, Not.

I found some information on reading aloud techniques on the SFWA website, ehow and Helium . This quickly shattered my thoughts on the no brainer part. I realized why those actors and professionals were better suited to read for those published authors. As I began thinking how to best approach the reading, I was baffled because I had no clue as to what my characters sounded like. Sure, there’s dialogue in there and faces scowling in anger, brows furrowed in thought, and faces rigid in concentration. They “said”, “responded”, “answered”, “questioned”, “whispered”, “huffed”, but what do they actually sound like?

I have to think more on this one. And the key is to practice, practice, and practice.

1 comment:

  1. The thought of reading in public terrifies me. When I get to that point, I'll be doing hours of practice.

    I'm linking back to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.